Confessions of a Mombie

All our lives we've been warned of the dangers of doing drugs. No one tells you that Motherhood kills brain cells. Just how many episodes of "Blue's Clues" one can watch without doing serious damage is still a matter in much need of investigation. Let this blog serve as a warning to all of the dangers that come with loving three tiny creatures wholly and unconditionally. It is an addiction, an obsession... and the world's best high.

Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Life As We Know It

It's been nearly four years now since this little adventure began. Noelle reminds me every day that her birthday is THIS SUNDAY - she couldn't be more excited. I think the idea of a whole day dedicated to just her is almost too much for our little princess to handle.

Meanwhile, I am just a few weeks away from turning the big 3-0 and just eight weeks away from welcoming our third child into the world. How does all this make me feel? Old. Old and FAT. Yes, I know that "pregnant" is not the same as "fat," but the fact that my belly can move of its own free will does nothing to change the fact that even my maternity pants are beginning to get snug. Leo does an incredible job of making me feel less old and fat, though it would really help if he would a least have the decency to turn 30 before I do. At least I know that I'm loved.

The other man in my life, Simon, will be two on March 1st, just one week before my current due date. He is by far the sweetest soul on the planet and I am trying to savor these last weeks of it just being him and me home during the day. We pick Noelle up from school at 3 - it is a LONG day for a preschooler and she is usually pretty grumpy... at least until she has a snack in her. She is learning so much, though.

The program is full French immersion, allowing the language to be learned "naturally," just as an infant learns his mother tongue. How amazing to hear her singing to herself in French at bath time or to have Leo ask her a question in French and hear her answer without skipping a beat. Her vocabulary may still be very limited, but the words she knows she can pronounce flawlessly, without a trace of the ugly "American" accent.

Thank God Leo and I both speak French. It is amazing to me how many parents have their children enrolled in French School without speaking the language at all themselves. I understand wanting to give a child that gift, but can't imagine not being able to help them with their homework as they get older. Or worse, having them all plotting against you right there at the dinner table as you look on with pride, not having a clue as to what they are saying. Ok, maybe that's being a bit paranoid, but that's just me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home