Confessions of a Mombie

All our lives we've been warned of the dangers of doing drugs. No one tells you that Motherhood kills brain cells. Just how many episodes of "Blue's Clues" one can watch without doing serious damage is still a matter in much need of investigation. Let this blog serve as a warning to all of the dangers that come with loving three tiny creatures wholly and unconditionally. It is an addiction, an obsession... and the world's best high.

Friday, January 27, 2006

So Far, 30 Sucks...

Well, today is the big day and I couldn't be in a worse mood. Had Noelle's favorite dress clean to avoid any possibility of morning arguments and even gave her a choice between that and another "favorite." Started casually conversing while doing her hair and mentioned off-hand that it was my birthday. BIG mistake. Other people's birthdays are NOT good news to a four-year-old. They just mean that someone else is the center of attention, potentially getting presents, and that's BAD. On came the water works that were so successfully avoided fifteen minutes earlier.

It is at that moment that Leo decides to start nit-picking about my family coming on Sunday. This weekend, of all weekends, we are BOOKED, mostly with stuff for Noelle (surprise, surprise.) Saturday she is going to see Sesame Street Live with my Mother-In-Law (ironically, a birthday present). She will be picked up for lunch sometime around 2:30 and won't be home until evening. I was hoping this would be our chance to go to Minado. Well, ok, to be honest I was hoping to go tonight, sans kiddos, but I know better than to think that would happen, as much as I've been hinting at it. But tomorrow wouldn't be bad, either.

Leo however, thinks we should go Sunday, when everyone is here. "Everyone" being my Mom and my older sister Gail, as well as my sister Diane, her husband, and their two kids. That would mean four kids age four and under, one of whom (my nephew, Danny) is just about allergic to everything. Of course, no matter WHERE we go, a separate meal will be packed for Danny, the table and chair will be wiped down, etc., etc...but the fact of the matter is that my sister and her husband are, themselves, not the most adventurous eaters and Minado is a sushi restaurant ( I know, it's a sushi restaurant and I'm eight months pregnant, but I am pretty careful to stick to the cooked stuff and will argue that I'm safer eating there than at McDonald's any day). The restaurant itself is not close to here and as it is my family will already be driving 100-200 miles round trip that day. Plus, no matter where we go we'll need to wait for Noelle to be done with her first swimming lesson (ANOTHER birthday present). Really, though, even suggesting Sunday was just another excuse to rant about my sister and her "demands"...this despite the fact that I haven't even mentioned any of this to her...I was the one who decided that it wasn't a good idea.

So that, in a nutshell, was my morning. Not only am I exhausted, pregnant, and feeling older than dirt, but I am also obviously a huge inconvenience this weekend. Happy Birthday to me.

1 Comments:

  • At 5:23 PM, Blogger Christine Hennebury (isekhmet/Smartmouth Mombie) said…

    Hi!

    This is so funny. I was using mombie.blogspot.com until a couple of months ago when I starting publishing right from blogger onto my website mombie.com. I didn't realize that blogger wouldn't hold the name for me. I was just going to post a message on this url directing people to my website again. If people should start wandering around here looking confused, kindly shoo them to mombie.com would you?

    It's good to know there are more mombies out there, in case we ever need to form a mombie army or anything. :)

    Happy birthday-past. Your daughter is adorable. And good luck with number three! (I have a four year old and a 1 year old myself).

     

Post a Comment

<< Home